Sunday, October 23, 2011

Set-Up and First Observation

I assembled my micro aquarium using a base, tank, and lid.  I took the tank and filled it with a layer of soil and water from water source 1. Tommy Schumpert Pond at the Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge, Kelly Lane, Knox County Tennessee.  Then I placed plant A and plant B in the tank.  After that I placed my aquarium under the microscope to observe it.  I was unable to find any micro organisms so I took the tank off the microscope and put the lid on it and put it away.  I observed my aquarium again on October the 21st.  I saw little activity in my tank.  Most of the action was in the soil where I saw and identified a stentor which is a single celled protazoa, and a ostracod (Rainis, Russell).

 Reference:
Rainis KG and Russell BJ.  1996.  Guide to Microlife.  Danbury (CT): Franklin Watts.

No comments:

Post a Comment